friends of the orcas island library
FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
The Friends Board is going to be involved with the Library’s Grand Opening on the 23rd of June from 5 – 8 p.m. I understand our school students are aware of that as being a significant date in their school year.
Would you like to be involved as well? The Grand Opening will include a walkaround of the extension (which will be functioning at this time), dinner buffet, a brief program, beer garden (Thank you Island Hoppin”) and a kids’ area. Watch for information on how to let your willingness be known.
The evening will be a special opportunity for you to BE THERE at the beginning of this next leg of the Orcas Island Public Library.
The current plans are for the contents of the library to be substantially moved from June 16 – 19. The library will, of course be closed during this time so please plan accordingly.
The Extension will include special area for the Friends Corner Store. As you can imagine, there were many ideas and suggestions on how to best utilize the space.
The Annual Membership Meeting of the Friends has been moved from September to October to coincide with the Annual Friends of the Library Convention. This year our local meeting will tentatively be held on Sunday the 15th of October from 1-3.
The Nominating Committee has been selected that will present to the Membership, at the meeting mentioned above, the slate of suggested board members to be voted upon. Each term is three years.
Tim Lunde, Lynn Carter, Kathy Morris, Elane Phipps, Jim Wiemeyer, Tom Welch, Sandra Wilson, and Ken Gibbs.
Contact the Library or any Friends member about joining the Friends Board, and about the many different volunteer opportunities.
- To establish and maintain an association of persons interested in a public library on Orcas Island;
- To focus public attention on and develop public support for the Library;
- To encourage and receive gifts, endowments, and bequests for the Library;
- To conduct fund raising activities for the benefit of the Library and to manage funds at its disposal for the benefit of the Library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing services for the community; and
- To stimulate more extensive use of the Library's resources.
Areas of Interest
- Endowment Fund
- Capital Improvement Fund Children's Services
- Community Awareness Collection Development
- Technology Landscaping, Furnishings & Building Enhancement
- Staff & Volunteer Staff Training
- Freedom to Read
Annual Events & Activities
- Library Fair — held the second Saturday in August
- Winter Book Sale — Smaller book sale held in February
- Friends' Holiday Tea; held first Saturday in December
Officers of the Board
- President — Tim Lunde
- Vice President — Elane Phipps
- Secretary — Tom McDonough
- Treasurer — Lynn Carter
Committees & Chairs
- Book Sale — Library Fair: Tim Lunde
- Book Sale — Winter: vacant
- Holiday Tea Chair: vacant
- Library Representative : Phil Heikkinen
Friends of the Orcas Island Library Board
Lynn Carter — Treasurer
45 Waldron View Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.4287
P O Box 1655 Eastsound WA 98245
Tim Lunde — President
5178 Orcas Road Eastsound WA 98245 206.399.7657
478 Old Pottery Road Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.5599
Elane Phipps — Vice.President
170 Montgomery Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.8131
532 Pt. Lawrence Rd. Olga WA 98279 360.376.2036
P.O. Box 266 Orcas WA 98280 360.376.5358
P.O. Box 339 Deer Harbor WA 98243 360.376.4524