friends of the orcas island library
FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
Last week, three of your Board members (Tim, Lynn and Sandy) ferried to San Juan Island where we were met and hosted by the SJ Public Library’s Friends. They treated us to a tour of their library, a lovely lunch and then we got down to brainstorming. Some of the ideas we took away from the meeting revolved around money making activities. Silent Auctions, Edible Books, Movie Weekends with popcorn and dessert, raffle for a Kindle or sizeable amount of money were among them. Their procedure is to offer these activities to all Friends who are currently members. We have invited them to Orcas Island shortly after our expansion has had its Grand Opening this June.
Which of the ideas above could you become excited about? Be willing to participate in? Encourage your friends and neighbors to attend? Please let us know and we can move in that direction!
Speaking of our Grand Opening….. The library’s “soft” opening will occur sometime in May and the Grand Opening on June 23rd The community will be treated to a barbeque celebration so put the date on your calendar. More information will be following and it is shaping up to be an event that you will want to attend.
Friends will have a store near the new entrance. We are going to call it Friends Corner Store and we will sell books for as well as other items that are being suggested. We’d like to have the store open for business daily and this all depends upon securing people with the time and interest to be there. Could this be you? Contact the library or any Board member (listed at the bottom) with this information.
After our Island-wide mailing, we have 100 Friends of the Library as of this date. Thank you for your support. If you have not sent in your membership envelope, there is always time and your contribution will be appreciated.
It isn’t too early to start thinking about our Summer Book Sale. We’ve recently been experiencing a flood of books that your Friends’ Board has sorted, boxed and stored. This year’s supply at our August Book Sale is going to be amazing. Get your calendars open to August and mark down that on the 12th you will be at the Library for the Book Sale. It is always on the second Saturday of August.
Your Board: Tim Lunde, Lynn Carter, Sandra Wilson, Elane Phipps, Jim Wiemeyer, Harold Lentzner, Kathy Morris, Tom Welch, and Ken Burns.
Contact the Library or any Friends member about joining the Friends Board, and about the many different volunteer opportunities.
- To establish and maintain an association of persons interested in a public library on Orcas Island;
- To focus public attention on and develop public support for the Library;
- To encourage and receive gifts, endowments, and bequests for the Library;
- To conduct fund raising activities for the benefit of the Library and to manage funds at its disposal for the benefit of the Library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing services for the community; and
- To stimulate more extensive use of the Library's resources.
Areas of Interest
- Endowment Fund
- Capital Improvement Fund Children's Services
- Community Awareness Collection Development
- Technology Landscaping, Furnishings & Building Enhancement
- Staff & Volunteer Staff Training
- Freedom to Read
Annual Events & Activities
- Library Fair — held the second Saturday in August
- Winter Book Sale — Smaller book sale held in February
- Friends' Holiday Tea; held first Saturday in December
Officers of the Board
- President — Tim Lunde
- Vice President — Elane Phipps
- Secretary — Tom McDonough
- Treasurer — Lynn Carter
Committees & Chairs
- Book Sale — Library Fair: Tim Lunde
- Book Sale — Winter: vacant
- Holiday Tea Chair: vacant
- Library Representative : Phil Heikkinen
Friends of the Orcas Island Library Board
Lynn Carter — Treasurer
45 Waldron View Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.4287
P O Box 1655 Eastsound WA 98245
Tim Lunde — President
5178 Orcas Road Eastsound WA 98245 206.399.7657
478 Old Pottery Road Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.5599
Elane Phipps — Vice.President
170 Montgomery Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.8131
532 Pt. Lawrence Rd. Olga WA 98279 360.376.2036
P.O. Box 266 Orcas WA 98280 360.376.5358
P.O. Box 339 Deer Harbor WA 98243 360.376.4524