friends of the orcas island library
FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
September 26, 2016
Dear Friends –
Our Board Meetings do not usually involve homemade leek and potato soup and homemade bead, but this one did. While we were slurping and munching, we actually accomplished quite a bit.
We have room at the table-- the Board table AND the kitchen table-- for a few more of you. If you like, even LOVE, our library, if you want to be of service to the community, and/or if you are interested in meeting wonderful people, we will save a place at our table for you. Please contact any Board member – addresses are listed on the Library Webpage under the Friends’ Corner.
What a thrill to be magical and change donated books into money for the Library. We’ve just approved $19,000 for items the library would like to have but that would be outside the range of their budget. It is a win/win situation – the library asks for things for all of us to use!
SAVE THE DATES:
Annual Meeting. This is a time for all Friends (yes, we need a quorum) to join us on Sunday, the 16th of October from 1 – 3 p.m. in the Library’s Conference Room. There will be an approval of the Board members, a short (truly) business meeting and then a wonderful opportunity to hear from Tom Fiscus. His topic has to do with our Air Force. Coffee, tea and chocolates will be served.
Holiday Tea. The kids are back in school, the temperatures are cooling off and the wind is picking up. Time to start thinking about the Holiday Tea. Always the first Saturday in December so this year it will be December 3, 2016. It will be-- and always has been-- a wonderful kick off for the Holiday Season and today is a good day to put it on your calendar.
Your Board: Tim Lunde, Elane Phipps, Lynn Carter, Jim Weimeyer, Tom Welch, Sandy Wilson, Kathy Morris and Harold Lentzer.
Contact the Library or any Friends member about joining the Friends Board, and about the many different volunteer opportunities.
- To establish and maintain an association of persons interested in a public library on Orcas Island;
- To focus public attention on and develop public support for the Library;
- To encourage and receive gifts, endowments, and bequests for the Library;
- To conduct fund raising activities for the benefit of the Library and to manage funds at its disposal for the benefit of the Library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing services for the community; and
- To stimulate more extensive use of the Library's resources.
Areas of Interest
- Endowment Fund
- Capital Improvement Fund Children's Services
- Community Awareness Collection Development
- Technology Landscaping, Furnishings & Building Enhancement
- Staff & Volunteer Staff Training
- Freedom to Read
Annual Events & Activities
- Library Fair — held the second Saturday in August
- Winter Book Sale — Smaller book sale held in February
- Friends' Holiday Tea; held first Saturday in December
Officers of the Board
- President — Tim Lunde
- Vice President — Elane Phipps
- Secretary — Tom McDonough
- Treasurer — Lynn Carter
Committees & Chairs
- Book Sale — Library Fair: Tim Lunde
- Book Sale — Winter: vacant
- Holiday Tea Chair: vacant
- Library Representative : Phil Heikkinen
Friends of the Orcas Island Library Board
Lynn Carter — Treasurer
45 Waldron View Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-4287
Tim Lunde — President
5178 Orcas Road Eastsound WA 98245 206-399-7657
Tom McDonough— Secretary
P O Box 165 Eastsound WA 98245 650-380-6704
478 Old Pottery Road Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-5599
Elane Phipps — Vice-President
170 Montgomery Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-8131
532 Pt. Lawrence Rd. Olga WA 98279 360-376-2036
P.O. Box 266 Orcas WA 98280 360-376-5358
P.O. Box 339 Deer Harbor WA 98243 360-376-4524