friends of the orcas island library
FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
March 16, 2017
Hello Friends –
Much of the first part of our monthly meeting revolved around how we are going to use our own “storefront” space in the Extended Library. The Friends’ books (now being shelved in the lobby for sales) and other merchandise (hats, bags, and mugs) will live together at what we are calling…The Friends’ Corner.
Even as we smiled about having centralized area for Friends, we realized that we now have a need for additional volunteers to play a role in the expansion of the library. Our initial thoughts are to have the store open for 3-4 hours a day. Volunteers can come in once a week and not only sell the books and merchandise that is already available but other items that might be added to our inventory in the future. If you would like to be involved, please let us know.
AND---we need volunteers again if you would like to donate a bit of your time for a good cause. This one would be for a raffle at our Summer Book Sale. Lynn Carter has made a quilt she will donate and we need someone to organize people for a table in front of the grocery store to sell tickets. This would be 8-9 Saturdays for a couple of hours each. To be raffled along with the quilt, we will accept other wonderful and valuable items to be displayed at the Friends’ Corner in the Extended Library. All proceeds will be used for the Library.
Reminder—There will be a barbeque celebration on Friday the 23rd of June for the Grand Opening of the Extended Library.
Here’s to good reading!
Your Friends’ Board: Tim Lunde, Lynn Carter, Elane Phipps, Harold Letzner, Sandra Wilson, Jim Wiemeyer, Ken Gibbs, Tom Walsh, Donna Riordan, and Kathy Morris
Contact the Library or any Friends member about joining the Friends Board, and about the many different volunteer opportunities.
- To establish and maintain an association of persons interested in a public library on Orcas Island;
- To focus public attention on and develop public support for the Library;
- To encourage and receive gifts, endowments, and bequests for the Library;
- To conduct fund raising activities for the benefit of the Library and to manage funds at its disposal for the benefit of the Library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing services for the community; and
- To stimulate more extensive use of the Library's resources.
Areas of Interest
- Endowment Fund
- Capital Improvement Fund Children's Services
- Community Awareness Collection Development
- Technology Landscaping, Furnishings & Building Enhancement
- Staff & Volunteer Staff Training
- Freedom to Read
Annual Events & Activities
- Library Fair — held the second Saturday in August
- Winter Book Sale — Smaller book sale held in February
- Friends' Holiday Tea; held first Saturday in December
Officers of the Board
- President — Tim Lunde
- Vice President — Elane Phipps
- Secretary — Tom McDonough
- Treasurer — Lynn Carter
Committees & Chairs
- Book Sale — Library Fair: Tim Lunde
- Book Sale — Winter: vacant
- Holiday Tea Chair: vacant
- Library Representative : Phil Heikkinen
Friends of the Orcas Island Library Board
Lynn Carter — Treasurer
45 Waldron View Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.4287
P O Box 1655 Eastsound WA 98245
Tim Lunde — President
5178 Orcas Road Eastsound WA 98245 206.399.7657
478 Old Pottery Road Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.5599
Elane Phipps — Vice.President
170 Montgomery Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.8131
532 Pt. Lawrence Rd. Olga WA 98279 360.376.2036
P.O. Box 266 Orcas WA 98280 360.376.5358
P.O. Box 339 Deer Harbor WA 98243 360.376.4524