FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
June 14, 2017
We are less than two weeks away from the Grand Opening of our expanded library and the excitement around the table at our last meeting was obvious. Big things are planned and you will want to be there.
- Come for the tours of the new area!
- Come to see all the others that will be there!
- Come for the barbeque meal!
- Come to be part of a major community event!
You will be glad you did.
Traditionally, the second Saturday of August (August 12 this year) will be the Summer Book Sale and Library Fair on the Library Grounds. This year it will be chaired by Tim Lunde and Harold Lentzner.
Much more on this next month, but you can expect to have a wide assortment of books to purchase, food, music and the usual camaraderie with your neighbors and guests. The proceeds go toward making our award-winning library even better than it has been.
- The Quilt Raffle is back! It will be on display at the Island Market on Saturdays between now and August 12. See it there or in the library . Handmade by an Orcas quilter, it is a fine souvenir of skill and time that can be decorative or functional.
- The Friends’ Board, after enjoying lunching, touring and visiting with the Friends of the Friday Harbor Library, have asked them to join us for the same pleasures shortly after the new library is open.
- In October, coinciding with the national Friends of the Library Organizations, we will hold our Membership Meeting. There will be a brief review of the year and a speaker for your enjoyment. Please make it known if you are interested in finding out what the responsibilities and time commitments are involved to be a Board member. We are searching for a few new members to work with the Library during these upcoming and exciting years with brand new expanded space.
Tim Lunde, Lynn Carter, Kenneth Gibbs, Harold Lentzner, Kathy Morris, Elane Phipps, Tom Welch, Jim Wiemeyer and Sandy Wilson
The Friends of the Orcas Island Library has merchandise for sale*. Merchandise is available for purchase in the Library.
- Canvas Bags: $15
- Mugs: $15
- Hats: $12
- Bumper Stickers: $2.50
And, of course ... paperbacks ($1) and hardbound books ($2) in the Library lobby.
*All proceeds from the sale of merchandise help to further the mission and activities of the Friends of the Orcas Island Library.