friends of the orcas island library
FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
Hello Friends –
Support What You Love.
You are on the Orcas Island Public Library webpage, so if you assume that Supporting What You Love has to do with our library, you are correct. As a volunteer organization that was created to support our wonderful library, Friends of the Orcas Island Library would like to have you join us in any way you can.
Do you have a couple of hours for a specific event?
Perhaps you would like to volunteer annually for baking cookies for the Holiday Tea in December? Help at one of our two annual Book Sales?
Are you interested in meeting Islanders, supporting what you love, and being a member of Friends –all at the same time? Perhaps serve on the Friends Board?
Pause for a moment and think about it. Your support can always be in the form of a donation and equally importantly, it can be in the form of helping hands.
How do you start? Get in touch with Jim Wiemeyer [firstname.lastname@example.org] or Phil Heikkinen - Library Director.
An important date on the Library’s schedule is Saturday, July 9th. This is the scheduled date for GROUNDBREAKING for its expansion. The Library will be celebrating with an old fashioned picnic including food, fun and other activities. Shovels available at the site!!
The annual Summer Library Fair will again be the second Saturday in August, August 14. It is our 60th Fair and in addition to the tables of books for sale, there will be booths for food and crafts., music and opportunities to mingle with Islanders and visitors. This year we would like to present large items to raffle – think cars, boats, etc. What might you donate to help Support What You Love?
HAPPY READING, Friends Board: Tim Lunde, Lynn Carter, Kathy Morris, Elane Phipps, Jim Wiemeyer, and Sandy Wilson
Contact the Library or any Friends member about joining the Friends Board, and about the many different volunteer opportunities.
- To establish and maintain an association of persons interested in a public library on Orcas Island;
- To focus public attention on and develop public support for the Library;
- To encourage and receive gifts, endowments, and bequests for the Library;
- To conduct fund raising activities for the benefit of the Library and to manage funds at its disposal for the benefit of the Library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing services for the community; and
- To stimulate more extensive use of the Library's resources.
Areas of Interest
- Endowment Fund
- Capital Improvement Fund Children's Services
- Community Awareness Collection Development
- Technology Landscaping, Furnishings & Building Enhancement
- Staff & Volunteer Staff Training
- Freedom to Read
Annual Events & Activities
- Library Fair — held the second Saturday in August
- Winter Book Sale — Smaller book sale held in February
- Friends' Holiday Tea; held first Saturday in December
Officers of the Board
- President — Tim Lunde
- Vice President — Elane Phipps
- Secretary — Tom McDonough
- Treasurer — Lynn Carter
Committees & Chairs
- Book Sale — Library Fair: Tim Lunde
- Book Sale — Winter: vacant
- Holiday Tea Chair: vacant
- Library Representative : Phil Heikkinen
Friends of the Orcas Island Library Board
Lynn Carter — Treasurer
45 Waldron View Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-4287
Tim Lunde — President
5178 Orcas Road Eastsound WA 98245 206-399-7657
Tom McDonough— Secretary
P O Box 165 Eastsound WA 98245 650-380-6704
478 Old Pottery Road Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-5599
Elane Phipps — Vice-President
170 Montgomery Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-8131
P.O. Box 266 Orcas WA 98280 360-376-5358
P.O. Box 339 Deer Harbor WA 98243 360-376-4524