friends of the orcas island library
FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
February 18, 2017
Dear Friends –
The two main focuses of the Board at this last meeting were:
WINTER BOOK SALE which is coming up next month. On March 11, 2017, from 10 – 3 there will be an opportunity for each of you to come to the School Cafeteria and see the thousands of books tabled and ready for your search. What might you find?
… A mystery book to keep you company on a winter’s night?
… A reference book concerning something of interest to you?
… Perhaps a book for a child?
… Magic carpets in the form of books that take you to faraway places and to times past and future.
… A cookbook that entices you to try something different for dinner.
… Bound printed pages representing both old book friends and new book friends.
… An adventure that you can vicariously enjoy.
… Oh! The treasures there just waiting for you.
And you can shop freely because the prices are TakeMeHomeWithYou low.
The co-chairs are Tim Lunde and Harold Letzner. They have jobs for a great many of us and the sign up for volunteers is now at the Library’s Front Desk.
Second focus was on the annual MEMBERSHIP DRIVE which is an important time in the year for us. The membership rates are low and you can join as an individual as well as a family.
You will be receiving a mailing from our Board before long and we hope that you remember all that the library does for you and our community and do your part by returning the form to us with your financial support. Keep in mind that the Friends is a group that exists with the sole purpose of making money for the Orcas Island Library.
Phil Heikkenin, Library Director, announced that the Grand Opening for the expansion of the Library will be held from 5-8 on June 23. This expansion will actually be finished before then and more will be coming about the progress.
The Board is very pleased to have two new faces around the table: Donna Riordin and Ken Gibbs are heartily welcomed by each of us and we look forward to working together.
Tim Lunde, Lynn Carter, Sandra Wilson, Jim Wiemeyer, Donna Riordan, Kathy Morris, Tom Welch, Harold Lentzer, Ken Gibbs, and Elane Phipps.
Contact the Library or any Friends member about joining the Friends Board, and about the many different volunteer opportunities.
- To establish and maintain an association of persons interested in a public library on Orcas Island;
- To focus public attention on and develop public support for the Library;
- To encourage and receive gifts, endowments, and bequests for the Library;
- To conduct fund raising activities for the benefit of the Library and to manage funds at its disposal for the benefit of the Library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing services for the community; and
- To stimulate more extensive use of the Library's resources.
Areas of Interest
- Endowment Fund
- Capital Improvement Fund Children's Services
- Community Awareness Collection Development
- Technology Landscaping, Furnishings & Building Enhancement
- Staff & Volunteer Staff Training
- Freedom to Read
Annual Events & Activities
- Library Fair — held the second Saturday in August
- Winter Book Sale — Smaller book sale held in February
- Friends' Holiday Tea; held first Saturday in December
Officers of the Board
- President — Tim Lunde
- Vice President — Elane Phipps
- Secretary — Tom McDonough
- Treasurer — Lynn Carter
Committees & Chairs
- Book Sale — Library Fair: Tim Lunde
- Book Sale — Winter: vacant
- Holiday Tea Chair: vacant
- Library Representative : Phil Heikkinen
Friends of the Orcas Island Library Board
Lynn Carter — Treasurer
45 Waldron View Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.4287
P O Box 1655 Eastsound WA 98245
Tim Lunde — President
5178 Orcas Road Eastsound WA 98245 206.399.7657
478 Old Pottery Road Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.5599
Elane Phipps — Vice.President
170 Montgomery Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360.376.8131
532 Pt. Lawrence Rd. Olga WA 98279 360.376.2036
P.O. Box 266 Orcas WA 98280 360.376.5358
P.O. Box 339 Deer Harbor WA 98243 360.376.4524