friends of the orcas island library
FRIENDS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
Mid June, 2016
Dear Friends –
The greatest annual fundraising of the Friends of the Orcas Island Library is definitely the Library Fair held the second Saturday in August. Do you know how long we’ve been putting on the Fair? This is the 60th year in a row! Not one but TWO numerals change on our Fair Meter.
Even though this year’s Fair will be held just over a month after the long-awaited Library Expansion begins, it WILL be at the Library itself which gives all of us an opportunity to be “Up Close and Personal” and observe the beginnings of this important project.
We’ll have tables and tables and tables of books to sell, food and other booths to wander and entertainment to listen to. Come to add books to your collection , to meet neighbors, and to support the library and its expansion for the Orcas community.
The Library Board of Directors has been the organization navigating the pathways to our Expansion and they are holding a Party/Picnic to celebrate the groundbreaking. This will be held on Saturday the 16th of July. Everyone present with have the opportunity to thank them AND have fun with the activities.
Yes, the Library Fair is produced by the Friends and the Expansion is overseen by the Library Directors but there’s more. Together the two different boards with a single focal point are cooperating on activities that will be announced as time goes along.
This is a significant, even historical, time in the life of our Library. Friends is conducting their annual membership drive and we invite you to become a Friend of the Orcas Island Library with a membership , an offer of your time to work on an activity, or both.
Your FOIL Board, Tim Lunde, Lynn Cargter, Jim Wiemeyer, Sandra Wilson, Elane Phipps, Tom McDonough, Tom Welsh and Phil Heikkenen.
Contact the Library or any Friends member about joining the Friends Board, and about the many different volunteer opportunities.
- To establish and maintain an association of persons interested in a public library on Orcas Island;
- To focus public attention on and develop public support for the Library;
- To encourage and receive gifts, endowments, and bequests for the Library;
- To conduct fund raising activities for the benefit of the Library and to manage funds at its disposal for the benefit of the Library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing services for the community; and
- To stimulate more extensive use of the Library's resources.
Areas of Interest
- Endowment Fund
- Capital Improvement Fund Children's Services
- Community Awareness Collection Development
- Technology Landscaping, Furnishings & Building Enhancement
- Staff & Volunteer Staff Training
- Freedom to Read
Annual Events & Activities
- Library Fair — held the second Saturday in August
- Winter Book Sale — Smaller book sale held in February
- Friends' Holiday Tea; held first Saturday in December
Officers of the Board
- President — Tim Lunde
- Vice President — Elane Phipps
- Secretary — Tom McDonough
- Treasurer — Lynn Carter
Committees & Chairs
- Book Sale — Library Fair: Tim Lunde
- Book Sale — Winter: vacant
- Holiday Tea Chair: vacant
- Library Representative : Phil Heikkinen
Friends of the Orcas Island Library Board
Lynn Carter — Treasurer
45 Waldron View Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-4287
Tim Lunde — President
5178 Orcas Road Eastsound WA 98245 206-399-7657
Tom McDonough— Secretary
P O Box 165 Eastsound WA 98245 650-380-6704
478 Old Pottery Road Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-5599
Elane Phipps — Vice-President
170 Montgomery Lane Eastsound WA 98245 360-376-8131
P.O. Box 266 Orcas WA 98280 360-376-5358
P.O. Box 339 Deer Harbor WA 98243 360-376-4524